Jessica, a Houston Runner

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Reflections: Afterthoughts of the 20k/10k Relay...

I found myself saying this at www.houstonrunningbloggers.com the day after the 10k relay:

"I plan to work the 30k Striders water station too…I wish there were more longer races (longer then 10k but shorter then a half-marathon) for kats like myself that need a ‘warmup series’ too. You know what I mean? I don’t mind 5k and 10k races but honestly those are more of a speed work-out for me then a half-marathon pace run of some sort. In hindsight, I wish I would have run the 10 miler and the full 20k but I am really working hard this season to avoid overdoing it/getting injured. Besides, there is always next year:)
I guess in the end I am just impatient for the Half!"

Well...I have finally gotten around to reviewing my running progress in my little green journal from the last few weeks. Despite a fantastic 10k time this past weekend, there aren’t many other impressive times in there worth mentioning again. In fact, MOST of my training runs have all kind of ‘tapered-off’ at an ‘easy’<---(my word) 10:30/mile pace. Granted, this is a 1:00 minute/mile improvement since the start of PIM in March of this year. But still….I need to push myself more like I did this past Saturday when I ran with my brother at a 9:12/mile and I felt like I was getting a great workout, both mentally and physically. I guess, truth be told, I need to find either people to run with or pacers that are faster then me for all the mildreds of loops at the Park that I do…since I just can’t push myself enough when I run alone. (which honestly, I run alone 99% of the time).

Also, I have been seriously neglecting my speed work lately and I can feel it when I do my longer runs…I feel like the last few miles are going to kill me-especially my hamstrings (well I am going to start trying some new GU’s this week to see if this helps with the energy level, as well). But I also need to continue with cross-training/CORE/ab crunches in between all my long runs/off days/SMARTie workouts. I just feel like I have been neglecting anything that is not actual running.

I guess in the end, I am just a little disspointed with my last few weeks of training and just feeling like I am running ‘junk miles’ to hit my total mileage for the week. I need to take into consideration that running is just one component of being a ‘runner’-I have to feed my body and mind right, strengthen the rest of my body and get rest (when I can). It seems like such an easy balance but with Marathon season in full swing, it feels like it’s almost a part-time job!! Arghh, any advice is helpful. Signed,
‘New Runner Blues’ aka ME

3 Comments:

  • Jessica,

    A cornerstone of the SMART program is variety. More SMART workouts for you on Tuesday/Thursday and less Memorial Park loops! You did great at the Tour de Bayou yesterday, use that to build on!

    Cheers, Steve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Oct 19, 09:11:00 AM  

  • I'm of the opinion that no miles are junk miles. Anything is better than sitting! :) But you're right, it's easy to get in the mode of just running and forget that you also have to pay attention to sleep, food (my biggest problem), etc. You'll get back on track (though I doubt you were ever really OFF track!!)

    By Blogger Sarah, at Wed Oct 19, 09:51:00 AM  

  • I agree w/ Sarah- no miles are junk miles!

    How to I work the 30k Striders water stop?? I wanna sign up!

    By Blogger Tiggs, at Wed Oct 19, 12:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home