Jessica, a Houston Runner

Monday, October 10, 2005

10/9/05: My Long Run for the Week…10 miles!

After I G-Maped my run for today, I still managed to overlook my mileage and ended up running 10 instead of the 9 i needed (this is a recovery week for me). Believe me, my legs were feeling it after about 8 miles so I KNEW I was running more then I should have. I still felt slow, although at an average of 11:02/mile—that is about where I want my longer runs (7 miles and longer) to be. I can tell I need to get back to those SMARTie speedwork sessions though so I can totally see myself racing the Hell out of the Ho Chi Min Trail tomorrow afternoon as part of the Practice Bayou XC races

I used my new Camelbak too (so long Fuelbelt for anything longer than 7 miles, since mine only holds two bottles and that is just not enough). I bought the Flashflo, which holds 45 oz of water. I filled it to the top and in 10 miles drank ¾’s of it. I was proud of myself because it kept me well-hydrated and I barely noticed it was there, other then figuring out how to drink out of it on the run…it has 2 mesh pockets too that I plan to put my 7oz Fuelbelt bottles and fill with Gatorade. There is plenty of room for a phone, iPod, I could probably even stuff gloves and an extra shirt in it when I need to. Rockit!

Overall, it was a great run, although I twisted my ankle running back right by the 610-loop frontage road (well, it WAS pitch black outside, and probably not the safest to run by myself either…) but it was super peaceful sans for cars passing me on Woodway and a few other runners taking advantage of the cool weather to get in a late-night run. (Sidenote: Check out the run by clicking on the link on the right column of my page, under 'I heart G-Map'...this is 7.3 miles of what I ran...I add another 2.3 miles to this run by running from my actual house, but for my own safety/to keep away stalkers, I have only published the main portion of my run.)

The STATS:
10 miles
1:50.29 total running

Average pace:11:02/mile

Heart-rate: n/a (didn’t wear it)
Weather: upper 70’s? low humidity.

2 Comments:

  • It's hard to not want to stay out longer than we should in this weather. It's like a little Christmas present for runners to get low temps and low humidity.

    Sounds like a good run. Keep it up!!

    By Blogger Sam, at Tue Oct 11, 09:34:00 AM  

  • hey- let me know how that camelback thing goes, i thought about getting one but was aftraid of the weight/bounce.

    By Blogger Tiggs, at Tue Oct 11, 01:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home