Jessica, a Houston Runner

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

10/25/05: The Final Practice Cross Country Run-and the Longest!

After a rather not-so-pleasant lunch from Casa Ole, I knew I would be slightly hurting on this run. I figured I would use the stomach pains as a fuel to run faster and finish sooner. And other then feeling like I was literally going to lose my lunch twice while I was running, I was fine. I was even able to run a 39 second negative split on the second half of the course (at the Bayou at Allen Parkway and Sheperd)!!

Although I feel like I started out too quickly, I was able to keep a very consistent pace through the first part of the course. I was side-by-side with the Junior Women’s leader, Strider Syndey King for about a ¼ of the first half (about 2.3 miles for the half). After I was able to nudge by her, I set my eyes on passing two older gentlemen that were probably running a nice, even 9:00/mile pace. I FINALLY passed them up after they missed one of the first turns on the second part of the course, and I gave it my all to put a nice lead on them. But—after about 5 minutes, I could feel myself being paced closely by one of the men. I picked up the pace even more-and I can honestly say I have never ran harder in my life. He was close on my heels and I was adamant about not letting him pass me.

Unfortently, he got me in the last half mile of the race, where I knew I was spent and I just couldn’t give anymore. I felt the tears welling up in my eyes and I am not sure if was because I felt I gave up or because I was pushing myself so hard I couldn’t control my emotions. Although I finished strong (in my opinion), it took me a few minutes after the race to compose myself. I was crying slightly (and I never ever cry) and felt like I was about to pass out—I was even slightly shaking. I shook hands with that guy that finished about 15 seconds in front of me (sorry, I didn’t get his name), and thanked him for pushing me through the last half of the course. It sure made this run well-worth it for me and I publicly thank him for the challenge.

After I had calmed down, I talked to Coach Steve and he said I ran a strong run. He said he can tell I am getting stronger since I am able to keep an even 9:16/mile pace on a tough and long XC course! It felt good to hear that, even though in the back of my mind, I felt bad about letting go at the end of the course. In fact, even the day after, I still feel like I let myself down. But I know I should use this feeling to propel myself to do even better on my next race-Nov 13. It’ll be a short 8.4k and back, and I am going to run it as fast and strong as possible.
I can’t wait.

The STATS:
4.6 miles
42.40 total running

21:40 first half
21:00 last half

ave 9:16/mile

Heart-rate: n/a
Weather: upper 60’s…low humidity (nice breeze!)

4 Comments:

  • Jessica,

    It is all good! You ran beautifully on a course that's in essence a combination of the Cross Country Relay and the course used for the 2003 USA Cross Country Championships (that's right, you and Deena Kastor have run the same course).

    The summer weather has been masking your fitness gains but they're way obvious now that the weather has turned decent. Yesterday you demonstrated mental toughness as well as physical toughness. Next step is to make the mental shift from viewing yourself as a "10 minute miler" to viewing yourself as a "9 minute miler" with the capability to race and do your quality workouts even faster than that.

    The 8.4k is a great race choice for you, and hope you're looking at the Run With The Saints 5k a week from Saturday ($15 subsidy from the Striders as the Race of the Quarter). Those two races will give you a real good sense of your 1/2 marathon expectations.

    Cheers, Steve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Oct 26, 12:24:00 PM  

  • Sounds like a heck of a run. You did a great job, and to get emotional about your performance is no biggie. As a matter of fact, it's a great thing, as long as it's used to move you forward.

    I'll be at the 8.4k as well. Looking forward to that too, and I'll be cheering you on. Keep up the great work!

    By Blogger Sam, at Wed Oct 26, 01:11:00 PM  

  • Hey Jessica -

    The motivation and determination that you devote to your runs is always so inspiring to read. I think you're doing great! :)

    By Blogger jen, at Wed Oct 26, 03:09:00 PM  

  • Jessica, you are running sooooo strong. I am so impressed. That's gutsy to run so hard and not it sounds like you left it all on the course, your heart and emotions, too. That's inspiring. Keep up the good work and keep the reports coming. It's great to hear.

    vic

    By Blogger Unknown, at Sat Oct 29, 01:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home