Jessica, a Houston Runner

Friday, October 21, 2005

10/20/05: 5 Mile SMARTie workout with the Memorial Park posse!

Tonight’s attendance, although not record-breaking by any means, was great: Strider’s/SMARTies Lisa, Diane, Chip and Amy all came out to do some special strength training-fun! I guess nothing says ‘good times’ then suffering through a brutal workout with your closest running friends. Then, after it was all done and said, Lisa, Diane, Chip and I all stuck around to chat about the 20k as well as the upcoming Rocky Raccoon race that is taking place in Huntsville this upcoming weekend. Chip and I have never done trail racing so we listened as Lisa and Diane shared stories about fun races of the past. Sounds like sometime I may do in another year or so (2007 maybe? Before the Honolulu Marathon?)

After we stopped gabbing and I decided I HAD to run at least 3 miles, so I went for a ‘little jaunt’ around the Park…but for some reason, rather then feeling tired after the workout, I felt refreshed and strong. (Perhaps my iPod of DMB helped too?!) I rattled off a 27.32 three mile loop (with negative splits!) and cool-downed with another two miles at a comfortable 9:40/mile pace. Wow, what a difference cooler weather and renewed confidence can make in your running! I never even stopped for water, which is off for me since I usually drink 7oz every three miles. Overall, a great training session and 5 mile run…super eager for Sunday’s long run in Conroe. Hopefully I don’t stay out tooo late at Buzzfest, haha…but I guess I can spend the night in Huntsville and just drive the 30 minutes to Conroe from there-sweet!

The STATS:

5 miles

46:53 total running

Mile1: 9:48

Mile2: 9:15
Mile3: 8:28
Mile4: 8:58
Mile5: 10:22


Heart-rate: n/a

Weather: 80’s…cool…low humidity.

2 Comments:

  • I remember when 5 miles seemd like nothing. sigh. hopefully again soon :)

    By Blogger Tiggs, at Fri Oct 21, 12:48:00 PM  

  • Sounds like a great run. That's one of my favorite feelings as fitness builds. A distance that used to leave you a little fatigued feels like nothing.

    Great job! Keep up the great work!

    Sam

    By Blogger Sam, at Fri Oct 21, 01:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home