Jessica, a Houston Runner

Sunday, October 16, 2005

10/16/05: The Koala/Luke's Locker 20k and 10k Relay!

After a night of bad sleep, bad food and somewhat bad thoughts, I didn't know how I would feel when I got to the race line-up early this morning. But, believe it or not, as I strapped on my shoes, I knew this was going to be my best race yet.

And I was so right.

I did the 10k relay with my good friend, Houston Fitter, Stacy Pyle. Her goal was to finish the 6.2 miles without walking. Mine? To finish under an hour. And I did it with a huge PR of 5min31 sec! I knew, the second I started running my leg, I was going to be successful. I knew I had trained too hard and too long to throw away everything I have done since my first 10k in July. The 10k that propelled me to create this blog, to join the Houston Striders, to become a SMARTie...to take my running to the next level essentially.

I don't really know what else to say at this point other then I just stayed solid on my feet and in my mind. I focused on the rythmn of my feet as I rattled off two VERY fast first mile splits (mile 1: 7:30, mile 2: 7:45) and then figuring out the conversions from 'K's' to Miles, as I was running the second leg of the relay and at this point all I was seeing was signs that said 13k, 9M, 11M, 17k and I kept getting confused. I do know I did slow down quite a bit at the Mile 2 mark, but not enough to effect my 3.1k split-a crazy and insanely fast 26:59!!!!!! Wow, I can't wait to run my next 5k for sure!

I slowed down enough to save my legs for the last mile/.2 and began to really focus on myself. As I approached the finish, knowing I was in sight of my goal PR, I could feel the emotions building inside and I was trying so hard to hold back the tears because I knew I ran as hard and well as I could. I never stopped or slowed down even once--I just kept trucking. I heard other fellow Striders calling out my name and although I couldn't tell who was cheering, I pressed on even more. What an incredible feeling!

And all I can think now is I can't wait til the Half, but even more so, my ultimate goal of the Full Marathon next January. But there is soo much hard work left to do. I just have to keep pushing on, making my mind and body stronger so I can run the best 13.1 I know I can do. And then worry about the 26.2 (and yes, I want one of those dumb oval stickers too!) Lastly, a big thank you to the Houston Striders for making today so successful and well-run (ran?!) I am so proud of my running club, you guys are like family and rock HARD.

The STATS:

6.2 miles
58.13.4 total running
4th fastest open woman on the backhalf 10k

Splits I figured out:
Mile1: 7:30
Mile2: 7:45
3.1k: 26.59

Heart-rate: 174 average 195 max
Weather: mid 80’s. low humidity.

10 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home