Jessica, a Houston Runner

Friday, September 30, 2005

9/29/05: Non-SMART Polo Grounds Run..and Cooler Weather!!!!!!!

I have to admit, next to some gooey chocolate cake (with tons of creamy icing!) after a long and hard run, not many things get me as excited as cooler Houston weather! Today’s run was the first run I have done since the ‘cold front’ came through and I fully took advantage of the nicer weather. What is funny is that I am use to gauging my level of exertion while running by how much I sweat (and I don’t sweat a lot by nature) so today was a different story…I hardly broke a sweat so I felt as though I didn’t work out as hard as usual.

But, of course, 6 miles *well really 5.6,* went by much quicker than I thought. Well, I covered the distance with an average 10:42/mile pace. Slower then I typically like to run, even on my longest distance runs, but for some reason, rather then worrying about how fast I was running, I just ‘sat back’ and enjoyed the scenery and the run as I actually skipped out on SMART to run to the Polo Grounds and back (my favorite Houston run). Actually, I am not sure if anyone met from SMART today (I waited around til 6:45pm and didn’t see anybody). The only SMARTie I saw was Brett (yes, THAT Brett…) and I honestly don’t know if he ran with the SMART group either.

In other running related news, I REALLY need to get a new pair of shoes (and have been feeling it for about a week now). I have to wait til next week though, even though I really need the shoes NOW<--actually i may charge them to my credit card tomorrow since i REALLY REALLY want to break them in and run in them on Sunday. I just checked in my journal and SURE enough, I have hit the preverbial 400 mile mark on my shoes. Time to get new ones…my question for you guys out there though is do I stick to the current shoe I use (The Brooks Adrenaline GT5) or do I go with the newer model, the GT6 (I think Fleet Feet-Voss carries it now). Any help would be appreicated. Hmm, I wonder what is going on with me and Sunday (other then the last regular season Astros game and carbo loading galore...I need NEED to get in 10 miles before the 1pm start time. Or 11 if I feel particuarly spunky...

The STATS:6 miles (ok, 5.6 miles according to G-MAP)
1:00 Hour total running

Mile1: 12:04 warmup at 400m track
Mile2-3.5: 22.29 to Grounds from 1¼ mile marker
Mile3.5-5.6: 25.49 back to the stretching deck

Heart-rate: 166 ave 179 max
Weather: mid 80’s. 50% humidity.

4 Comments:

  • Jessica,

    Good job on the Polo Grounds run. That ice cold water 1/2 way is great no matter what the weather. Believe the SMART workout Thursday was hills so your colleagues were at Jackson Hill a couple of miles away.

    The answer for a 10 miler Sunday is, of course, the USA 10 Miler in Clear Lake. See you there!

    Cheers, Steve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Oct 01, 10:21:00 AM  

  • what's the polo grunds route? I wanna try it out.

    By Blogger Tiggs, at Mon Oct 03, 11:30:00 AM  

  • I didn't hit the SMART workout, but went instead to the Pollo fields, too - that water was too tempting to pass up.

    Cheers!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Oct 04, 09:33:00 PM  

  • Cassie: I G-Maped the run and it is on the left side of my page under "I HEART G-MAP." It's about a 4.6 mile run from the 0 mile marker at the Tennis Center.
    Enjoy and let me know if you go run it!
    -Jessica

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Wed Oct 05, 10:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home