Jessica, a Houston Runner

Thursday, September 29, 2005

9/27/05: A Nice Back-to-Normal SMART/Distance Run!

After I promised myself not to over-train and combine workouts, I did exactly that tonight. I am not sure why I did it, as my legs felt sooo heavy after only a 2 mile warmup. However, after a fun (it really was!) 30 minute workout of 180/180’s (oh 180's are 180 seconds at 5k pace, and 180 seconds at a recovery pace), but I just wasn’t ready to call it quits. The adrenaline felt so good going through my body and legs I added on another 2 miles as a cool down. I walked for a second around the track after the rest of the SMARTies left and decided I want more. So I chugged some more watered-down orange Gatorade (my all-time favorite for some reason) and made my way around the Park loop for 3 more miles.

Those 3 miles sucked pretty bad. At that point, my legs were pretty much worn out and I actually stopped twice to walk for about a minute. I have never done that before (stopped to walk during a training run) so it threw off my rhythm and made me feel ‘off’ for a few minutes. Despite an unimpressive 3 mile loop time, as I approached the stretching deck at the end of my run, I threw my knees up and sprinted with the most determination I have had at the end of a run since the Toughest 10k I did a few months ago…it felt great. I also got the attention of the MPR (Memorial Park Regulars) that often hang out at the stretching deck and talk for hours on end (when they aren’t running 6 minute miles!)…I won’t divulge into their conversations (something about bronzing shoes and getting girls to say hello to them at the Park) but they certainly had me laughing as I finished stretching…

And in other running related news…I decided I am not doing the 10 Miler on Sunday, I don’t really have the $$ and I don’t feel properly trained for it. Ah well, I’ll do it next year! OH! Another thing-it has brought to my attention that CERTAIN people really like my running pictures--especially the one featured in this month’s Strider’s newsletter. I am so flattered. Seriously. And I can’t help that I feel all geeked about it now...I heart my coaches, thanks guys! ;)

The STATS:
1o miles
1:46 minutes total running

Mile1-2: 22 minute warmup
Mile3-5: 30 minutes of 180/180's
Mile5-7: 21 minute cooldown
Mile8-10: 33 minutes (??)

Heart-rate: 171 ave 238 max!!
Weather: very hot. probably upper 90's. 50% humidity maybe?

5 Comments:

  • Random thought -- nice to see someone who has a similar heart rate to mine. I've always thought mine seemed too high.

    What are 180/180's?

    By Blogger Sarah, at Thu Sep 29, 12:43:00 PM  

  • i was just thinking that too about our heart rates!!

    oh 180's are 180 seconds at 5k pace, and 180 seconds at a recovery pace. i should clarify.

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Thu Sep 29, 12:59:00 PM  

  • Thanks for mentioning your coaches - I told you I read your blog. Sorry you can't run the 10 miler; we'll just have to make up for it on Tuesday.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Sep 29, 10:58:00 PM  

  • Arghh...I still want to go on sunday. i need to get in a nice long 10 or 11 mile run before the Astros game at 1pm (and some overdue carbo loading!) maybe i will decide at the last moment. Perhaps i will see ya'll there!
    -Jessica

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Fri Sep 30, 01:43:00 PM  

  • Unless some unforeseen circumstance aries (which seem to do a lot these days) I will be there! I did check the hotels in the area and they are full due to Hurricane Rita/Katrina, so I'll be driving from the Sugar Land area early in the morning. I'll be the tall goofy looking guy with Asic shoes :-)

    By Blogger Steve Bezner, at Fri Sep 30, 02:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home