Jessica, a Houston Runner

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

9/24/05: Some elliptical training (and swimming!) in San Antonio.

I will have to admit the heat in San Antonio while I was there was pretty atrocious. It was never below 100 degrees during the day the 4 days I was there. Of course, SA has a humidity high of 40%. Relatively cool by Houston standards. Unfortunetly for me, due to the heat, I didn’t get to take advantage of the hilly terrian and ‘low’ humidity and sneak in a run. The only workouts I got were 30 minutes in the pool (not laps, mind you, but kicking my legs and a few pullups for my arms) which wore me out so fast I knew that I am going to be in for a fun time or two when I finally get to swimming some laps this spring. The pool felt great on my legs though, and now I realize how important cross-training is. I got 30 minutes of good, low-impact aroebic workout. I couldn’t have been happier. However, I was still jonsing for some running so I managed to sneak into my friend’s apartment workout gym (that consisted of a eillipitical machine and a staitionary bike). Pretty dissapointing facilities but I made the most of it and pushed myself through 50 minutes of hills on the level 5-8 settings. (The machine went to level 10). Better then nothing.

Now I am back in town, safe and happy to be with my friends and family again, and ready to kick some butt in my training this week. I decided I am going to take this week ‘easy’ and not up my mileage for the week. As it is, I am going to have to fit in a 10 mile workout tonight and I am a little worried I will find the energy since it is already Tuesday, I didn’t get much sleep last night, and I didn’t run much last week. Well I guess rather than making excuses I should feel blessed I HAVE Houston to come home to and run at again. I look forward to and cherish seeing all my running friends and compadres again. Today is a really great day to be healthy and alive. That’s what matters here.

The Stats:
about 5 miles

5 minute warmup
20 minutes interval (one minute low, one minute high)
5 minute break
25 minutes hill (two hills total)
5 minute brisk walk cooldown

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home