Jessica, a Houston Runner

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

9/20/05: Jackson Hill Workout and Pre-Hurricane Non-Partying.

This workout really pushed me but I totally needed it and stayed injury-free. (Side note: the last time I did this set of hills-I plagued myself with shin splits that didn't go away for several months during PIM). But the fact I stayed safe means I am getting stronger and my endurance is better. I think I only took a few walking breaks as a recovery before I charged down those same hills. I know if I can incorporate at least one day of hill workouts a month, I can stay strong and fast for the Toughest 10K I plan on doing again next year (the one with the 26 hills!!!)

In other running related news, the Hurricane is coming...I have decided I am leaving town late Thursday night or early Friday morning. I am pretty scared since I have never expierenced a hurricane before, but I know that running is going to help me keep my sanity as everything that once seemed 'normal' is not...people are buying water by the flats...gas is running out and people are flocking out of town as fast as possible...God bless us all and I hope Rita loses strength before she hits land. With luck and blessings, I plan to be back to Houston on Monday and just have to clean up some leaves and branches...looks like I am only going to get in one or two more runs before I have to leave, but i'll update either from San Antonio (where I am going to stay) or when I get back here. ALL MY HOUSTON BUDDIES: BE SAFE AND SMART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The STATS:
5 miles
55 minutes total running

Mile1: 11:13 wu
Mile2: 10:15 hills
Mile3: 10:12 hills
Mile4: 11:13 hills
Mile5: 12:23 cd

Heart-rate: 161 ave 222 max
Weather: 80’s. humid with cool patches of air.

5 Comments:

  • I'm glad you're heading out to San Antonio where it'll be much safer and drier than H-town! I lived there for 4 years---I often miss it. Drive safely, and I'll see you soon. Maybe you can get a run in at Brackenridge! :)

    By Blogger jen, at Wed Sep 21, 09:53:00 PM  

  • Cool. Glad to hear you're motivated enough to run still. After my last check of the weather, it looks as if San Antonio might be a good place to be. Rita is heading ever so close to Galveston again. Looks like even Dallas is expected to get about 15 to 20 inches of rain. I might have to go all the way to Tulsa now.

    By Blogger Woodlands Runner, at Wed Sep 21, 10:08:00 PM  

  • Glad to hear you're getting out. Be safe.

    By Blogger equarles, at Wed Sep 21, 10:38:00 PM  

  • I woulda gone for a run today if it weren't so damn hot... :)

    By Blogger Sarah, at Thu Sep 22, 06:39:00 PM  

  • hi all-i'm doing good here in san antonio, although it's hotter then houston (unbelieveably). hopefullyi can get in a 10 mile run tonight...i leave to come back to houston tomorrow. i can report no damages and my family and friends are fine!
    -jessica

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Sun Sep 25, 02:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home