Jessica, a Houston Runner

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

9/19/05: My first 10 mile run! And I rocked it out!

I have to admit I was a little hesitant to go into this run…for some reason I had a subconscious block telling me I couldn’t run 10 miles…well guess what--I did it! It was actually a lot easier than I thought, in terms of my body holding a steady 10:30 pace and my running form never really getting too lazy (Although my mid-back is pretty sore today! Not sure how I did that!) I actually enjoyed this run so much I didn’t even feel like I had been running over an hour until I looked at my watch and realized I only had a mile and a half to go! I think, as good as the body and mind felt (although I needed to use to port-a-potty after 4 miles and yet I held it for 6 more miles…) I could have ran AT LEAST another 2 miles at this pace…which means I think I am in GREAT shape for the half in January! I am totally on target in my training for the race…all that’s left is another 3.1 miles…and that’s just a 5k on top of what I ran:) Now I get to focus on fun stuff like building more endurance (to help me pull some possible negative splits) and a little bit more speed (so I don’t feel like my feet are dragging)!

Per this site: If I can hold a 10:30 pace for the Half, I can complete it in 2:17. (Although I don’t think that to finish under 2:10 by the time the actual event happens is not tooo much of a stretch--about a 10:00 pace)…even if I maintained a 11:30 pace for the Half (worst case sanario to me at this point), I will finish in under 2:30--Which I think it my ‘definite’ Half goal. To think ahead even further, it I can hold 10:30 miles in the Full Houston Marathon (in 2007!), I can complete it in 4:30. Or even if I hold 11:30 miles (which seems very realistic to me at this point) for 26.2 miles, I can complete it in 5 hours flat. Cool! I didn’t ever think I could phantom running over an hour or even running 10 miles! but now I am about 1/3” way there towards a full marathon and the next milestone of 13.1 totally seems extremely achievable and will be totally exhilarating when I achieve it!

The STATS:
10 miles
1:45 total running
10:30 ave pace

Mile1: 10:20
Mile2: 10:27
Mile3: 10:58
Mile4: 10:34
Mile5: 10:23
Mile6: 11:00
Mile7: 10:42
Mile8: 10:15 (ate some gummy bears-they helped!)
Mile9: 10:20
Mile10:9:58

Heart-rate: 167 ave 213 max
Weather: 80’s. 60% humidity

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home