Jessica, a Houston Runner

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

9/12/05: A SMARTie session and long run all in one…

Tonight’s workout taught me the meaning of why I should never try to combine workouts to maximize my time/energies. After a LONNG SMART session of silly walks, mile warmup, 14 minutes of 30/30’s and CORE, I was so tired I should have known better to keep pushing myself and try to log some miles. Of course, the practical part of me knew I had enough energy to fit in ‘a few’ miles. So I ran. And ran. After about 6 miles, I felt my full body ‘bonk’ for the first time ever--i felt confused and suddenly very worn-out. It was almost a scary feeling as I felt absolutely no energy in my legs. And yet I forced myself to run another 2 miles. My watch confirms this bonking, as after I was cruising around the Park at around 10:30/minute miles, I slowed down to a painful 11:15/minute+ mile. My legs were just simply ‘done.’ So, I learned my lesson and also fully confirmed the fact that I need to take in some sort of carb or electrolyte or sugar after 5 mile or longer runs. (Just like Strider Lee had told me). I can’t do GU as it makes my sensitive stomach freak out, but I really have found myself addicted to jelly beans and gummy bears lately, so I am thinking of buying small packages of those and carrying them with me. I also need to carry the good old Fuel Belt with some Gatorade in it on these longer runs, as I have tended to notice a difference in my running after taking in electrolytes in the form of salty/sweet orange powder and water…

In other related running news, I am featured as Strider Member of the Month for September. (ahhh, what a crazy picture I know!) so now you REALLY know everything about me, if you didn’t already. There are also stories/pictures from other Striding’ Bloggers so go check out that sweet newsletter in general. Also, tonight is Strider’s meeting night at some swanky Chinese Buffet near where I work (so I am going straight there from work), to have a few bites to eat as I check out the club news, and then run 5 miles as my recovery run for the week! Good times! (and as promised, blog photos are coming soon too, including pics from Party in the Park, the Houston Marathon Signup Party<--which was fun since I was drinking beer before I ran and it made it a LOT more fun, shhh! and My Best Run Ever)!

The STATS:
9 total miles
1:35 total running

½ mile warmup: 5:00
1.5 miles of 30/30’s: 15:00
Mile3: 11:33
Mile4: 10:31
Mile5: 10:34
Mile6: 10:20
Mile7: 11:05
Mile8: 11:19
Mile9: 9:48 (only about ¾ a mile)

Heart-rate: 166 ave (good) 214 max (bad!)
Weather: upper 80’s. nice breeze.

4 Comments:

  • you ate and drank beer before running?!?! I can't eat anything substantial esp. chinese food before running! And beer?? I'm LOL at the idea of GU making you sick but chinese food and beer being okay! hehehehe!

    how was the meeting? I wanted to go but I had TNT.

    By Blogger Tiggs, at Wed Sep 14, 12:35:00 PM  

  • Way cool! I think I'd pass out if I ran after a beer. Hope the meeting was fun.

    By Blogger Woodlands Runner, at Wed Sep 14, 08:59:00 PM  

  • I liked your description of how you felt when you "bonked". Had that happen to me before...twice. Once on a training run for the marathon (my only one a couple of years back), and then at the marathon.

    I was thinking the same thing as Cassie....beer and chinese good. GU bad. :) And Lisa's right...the experiment continues till you find that delicat balance as to what works best for you.

    By Blogger Sam, at Thu Sep 15, 01:22:00 PM  

  • I like to think of the beer and cookies before the training run as 'carbo loading.' and it helped!

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Thu Sep 15, 10:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home