Jessica, a Houston Runner

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

9/1/05: SMART 6 Mile Workout!

Yes, contrary to popular belief, I have been running the last few days…mostly (I’ve been sick, *ahem*). I’m just a little behind so bare with me a little…

Thursday’s SMART workout was a good time. The usual ‘impromtu’ crowd showed up and we worked through SST (special strength training) as well as 6 miles of actual running (suppose to be a 2 mile warmup, then 2 miles at your 10k speed, and then 2 mile cool down), but I think I just let that fall to the wayside when I realized how tired my legs were. It’s really hard for me to run back-to-back days at this stage in my training, so hopefully with my schedule falling into place now, I can get into a more routine day on-day off schedule.

In unrelated (but affecting my running) news-the hurricane has had me really down and sad lately. Thousands of displaced people are now living in Houston with little more than the clothes on their backs. It is heartbreaking to see families so thankful to be alive and yet knowing they no longer have a home…I find that running keeps that stress and edge off my days. Although I know it does nothing to help those in need, sometimes in times like now a little mental sanity of my own goes a long ways.

The STATS:
6 miles

Mile1: 11:13 warmup
Mile2: 10:22
Mile3: 10:22
Mile4: 10:48
Mile5: 11:44 cooldown
Mile6: 10:38

Heart-rate: 167 ave/183 max
Weather: mid 80's, nice breeze. 60% humidity

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home