Jessica, a Houston Runner

Sunday, August 28, 2005

8/25/05: Run The Woodlands 5k #136 (a BIG new PR and 1st place in my age group!)

So today's race was something for me to really be proud of. I ran strong, I ran hard, and I finished strong. With an average pace of 9:16/mile, I can tell that my speedwork with the SMARTies is finally paying off. In fact, although I had a tough time with the first mile of the race, (just getting my breathing going and my stomach to settle down from the MEXICAN! food i had for dinner last night), I felt really good with my race.

This race, my race for the month of August (although I originally had plans to run the Caliente 10k in Killeen and the Keep Austin Weird 5k in Austin before gas hit $2.55 a gallon!) was part of Jon Walk's 'Houston Bloggers Edition 5k' that a bunch of us online guys ran together at the bi-monthly Run the Woodland's Race Series. The turn out was great: Sam Rodriguez won the overall race at 17:49 and, Holden Choi finished at 27:01, I finished at 28:44, Jon Walk finished at 29:50 (he gave me a run for my money in mile 1!) and Jennifer Kim finished at an even 33:00. I also got my friend and teaching colleague Janelle Ewing to come race with us and she finished in 30:55 (second in our age group!) and a really strong race for her, who just got back into running after a 4 year break! Vic Kaiser also came to support us and take pictures (which will be coming soon).

The two things that did bother me about how I ran though were things that I could control. The first thing was the fact that I was worried about 'how' I was running and how fast I was going to run, as opposed to 'just doing it.' In fact, Jon Walk had to remind me before the race began to 'just worry about how I was doing, and race for myself.' With my heart rate reaching 235(!) in the first mile of the race, I knew I was a little panicked for no good reason and tried very hard to relax and enjoy my peaceful surroundings. I really had to give myself some self-assurance and continue to remember to control my breathing and form. By mile 2, I got 'back on course' and ready to rock it out.

The other thing that was different about this race was the race conditions, notably that there were no water stops (not really an issue for me since I had my modified 'fuel belt' so I ran the entire race with no stopping! The first time ever in a race!) and I wonder how much this affected my PR time as well. I also, being new to this race, was unsure of the race path. I studied the maps before the race, but there were times during the race I felt I was 'lost' as I was running alone and was very unfamilar with my surroundings. (Every turn looked the same!) Sans the blue dots that marked the mile markers, I was a lost soul. But in the end, I believe this helped with my PR as well--not really 'obsessing' with how fast I was running each mile really helped me stay relaxed and keep a fluid breathing pattern and form.

What a difference it is to run a race this relaxed though once I got my mind in the right mode! I think it helped that the race was very 'low-key' as well. (Under 100 participants, no pinned-on race numbers, a nice support of runners at the finish line)...not to mention door prizes (I won a Brooks foot care pack) and there were bagels too! Jon was right, this is the 'best bargin in racing.' Tell all of your friends. I believe the next 'Houston Bloggers Edition' will be December 10 (check with Jon Walk to make sure) so if you live locally and you are reading this, feel free to come out and run amongst your fellow local friends:) Also, the biiiig breakfast that we eat afterwards and the 'gossiping/trash talking' (all you Striders know what I mean) makes the whole race worth it, even if you spend more in gas ($7!) than to register to run the race ($1!)

The Stats:

3.1 miles (28:44-a 43 second PR!)
Ave pace: 9:16/mile

Mile1: 9:15 (missed the mile 1 marker so I am guessing)
Mile2: 9:15
Mile3: 9:27
Mile3.1: .46

HEART RATE: 182 Ave/235 Max
WEATHER: mid-80's, upper 80% humidity, Slight breeze.

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home