Jessica, a Houston Runner

Thursday, August 25, 2005

8/24/05: A great run, although the last PIM for the Summer…

Last night’s run couldn’t have been a better combination of good times. 1)good friends: Striders Lee, Pam, Sandy (for a little while), Lynnlee, Mark (I think he ran with us), and a couple of others that escape my memory right now. 2)good pace: we averaged about 9:30/mile, and probably could have ran much faster, but we were just being conversational and doing a recovery run. 3)good conversations: The group of guys were talking triathalons since Try Andy’s Tri was this past weekend (a HUGE ‘sprint’ Triathalon that is held in Sugar Land) and it got me thinking…maybe this is something I can do.

The race was a 300-meter pool swim/10 mile bike/and 3 mile run. The running I have gotten and the biking I think I would do OK at (although I could probably sit on a bike right now and fall off) but the SWIMMING really worries me. Granted, I was grown up and ‘groomed’ to be on swim team, so I was in the pool by age 3 (although my high school didn’t have a swim team at the time so by age 11 or 12 I lost interest in the sport). But my good PIM friend Harry said he thinks I could pick it up fairly fast again, so I just need to really get a new suit, pair of goggles and cap again…so I guess right now while I have the gym membership, I should go swim…too bad I don’t money for new gear right now! Well, I think I can start training after the half marathon in january and go out for ‘My first Tri’ in April…sounds cool, but am I nervous already! We shall see where this goes…

Other then that, I’m afraid I can’t do PIM this fall since my part-time teaching schedule (I teach music twice a week in Rosenburg) is going to fall into Wednesday afternoon’s…so there is no way I can get back in time. I plan to do PIM in the spring though, as well as complete enough HARRA races to qualify for an Iron Foot award (I think last year it was 5 races, ranging from 5ks to a 33 minute ‘LP run’). If I can do it, I might be the youngest person to do so for the season...Last Spring, only one person under the age of 30 completed it…sounds like a good thing for me to reach for:) I think I am ‘in-the-making’ of a good schedule for myself though: If I can train safely for the half until January, start Tri-Training from Jan-April and run the Tri, and then integrate the swimming/biking cross-training into my summer and into-marathon training for next january (2007!), I think I actually have a plan--woohoo for fitness goals!

One last thing, last night after the PIM run was our first planning meeting for the RRCA Convention that we Striders will be hosting this upcoming year here in HOUSTON!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!! I don’t know what my involvement with the convention will be yet, although I have been collecting my thoughts and some ideas about it and plan to present them to Steve Shepard and Brett Riley soon. I really want to get my hands dirty with this convention as I know I enjoy helping out and also I want to make sure Houston puts their best foot forward! :)


The Stats:

4 miles

Mile1: 9:27
Mile2: 9:42
Mile3: 9:00
Mile 4:10:06

HEART RATE: 171 Ave/187 Max

WEATHER: same as yesterday, not as humid though.

3 Comments:

  • Jessica, those goals and plans sound awesome. It's like de javu hearing you talk about all that. It's also my goal to try for the Spring Ironfoot award and to eventually do a tri. Actually, I wanted to do a lot of that stuff this year and was planning my first marathon this January, until the ankle set me behind about a year. Kind of cool, though...now that we have similar goals, maybe we can really encourage each other. Of course, you're waaaaayyyy ahead of me in the running and certainly in the overall fitness. At least I'll have someeone at those finish lines cheering me across the line (eventually).

    Were you at the planning meeting last night. I'm gonna shoot myself if you were there and I didn't recognize you and say hi. The meeting was great. It's really going to be an awesome week. I, too, want to really immerse myself in it and help as much as possible. I think it's going to be so good for the Houston running community and especially for the bayou classic.

    Sorry you're not able to do PIM this Fall. I'm hoping to be ready. I registered the first day of online registration, even though at the time, I could not even walk without a that big boot with all those velcro straps. You know the kind?

    Seeya around.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Thu Aug 25, 04:38:00 PM  

  • I think I can do that mini triathlon. I already swim about 30 minutes of laps which calculates to 12 X 25 meter pool. I don't have a road bike though. I wonder if I can use a hybrid mountain bike for that leg. Then the 3 mile run should be OK I suppose. Within next couple of weeks, I think I will bike to the Y, swim the laps and then run 3 miles and see what happens.

    By Blogger Woodlands Runner, at Thu Aug 25, 05:18:00 PM  

  • i just found your blog thru random links (i read too many of these!!!) but had to say hi when i saw one of your links... "this girl is a big reason why i want to do the big 26.2"... randomly, she was the first running blog i read, so i thought i'd say hi.

    i'll be reading some of your old posts, so dont mind the random comments!!

    By Blogger a.maria, at Thu Aug 25, 06:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home