Jessica, a Houston Runner

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

8/23/05: SMART’s version of Kenyan Relays-my favorite!

No, I wasn’t trying to be overally sarcastic-I actually think Kenyan Relays (run 200m and then tag a partner who runs 200m and then you do it again for a certain amount of time) are my favorite form of speedwork. Especially when you run in a running club that is full of fast, powerful runners that can inspire you and push you through a tough, overally hot and humid workout…

I have to admit that I went into this workout with the wrong mindset…I am still getting over my head cold and I was running a slight headache, as well as having pains in my dumb calf still. Strider Chip showed me a few simple calf stretches I could do which helped quite a bit. I have certainly been taking good care of my legs though lately-lots of ice, stretching and staying off them as much as possible (not impossible with my job, I sit more than I wish I did).

The relays themselves went off very very well, despite the thick-as-pea-soup humidity that plagued us due to a recent rainstorm earlier in the afternoon. i averaged some very respectable 45-53second 200m which averages out to about a 7:30mile-8:15mile. Not bad for me considering I wasn’t ‘in the mood’ to run before hand. I don’t believe I have EVER pushed myself this hard with speedowrk before. Good for me to push myself, I just hope I didn’t make my calf act more than it has been.

I am looking forward to a nice lesiursely (hopefully) run tomorrow with the last off-season PIM group for the summer…actual PIM starts next week, so if you are interested in training for a 5k, sign up asap ONLINE only this season. I don’t believe I will be doing it this Fall only due to scheduling issues. However, I 100% endorse it. If it wasn’t for PIM, I wouldn’t be here today…

The Stats:
4 miles

1 mile warmup: 10:26
Average of 45-53 seconds per 200m
(Averages out to about a 7:30-8:15mile)
1 mile cooldown: 10:21

HEART RATE: 176 Ave/193 Max
WEATHER: probably 100% humidity, 90 degrees.

2 Comments:

  • Oh man! I can totally relate to the pea-soup stuff. I ran with the Kenyan Way group doing hills over on Shephard and Memorial....UGH!! It felt like we were being rained on, while burning up in the sun at the same time. Sounds like you did a heck of a job. Way to go. Keep up the great efforts and take care of that calf.

    Cheering ya on...
    Sam

    By Blogger Sam, at Wed Aug 24, 02:28:00 PM  

  • Keep up the good work. I think PIM starts week after next. At least I hope. I need a couple of weeks to get my ankle loosened up a bit more. Yes, I just looked. It starts on the 7th.

    vic

    By Blogger Unknown, at Wed Aug 24, 03:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home