Jessica, a Houston Runner

Monday, August 22, 2005

8/21/05: A Nice Late Night Run (kinda)…

I ended up running yesterday night around 9pm at Memorial Park (alone)…I highly DO NOT recommend any [guy or girl] to run alone at the park this late…or for that matter ANYWHERE in the city. I never felt *unsafe* when I was running that late, but it was certainly unsettling to me to think anyone could just hide in the bushes and wait for the right moment to pounce on someone. It has happened before, scary thought.

I ended up having some pain in my right calf (not quite my shin, it was more on the side and towards the back) that starting aching after about a mile. I knew I wasen’t going to get in the 8 miles like I had planned so I settled for 6. The nicest thing about running this late was the humidity had dropped down quite a bit and there were fewer people clogging up the trail. The plan for the rest of the week is 4 miles on Tuesday (SMART), 4 miles on Wednesday, 3 miles on Thursday (SMART) and the RTW race on Saturday.

In related running news, the reason why I ran so late last night is because I was still feeling sick Saturday morning when the Striders went out for a 8-13 mile run at Memorial Park before the Party in the Park by the tennis courts. Believe me, it was quite a humorous sight for someone like me (new to the running community) to see runners chugging beers at 9 in the morning:) That and the Koala massages went over really well. I didn’t see nearly as many people excited about the bagels or Gatorade as I thought. I also took a few pics which I will upload soon…


The Stats:

1.06 Total time running
6 miles
Mile1: 10:33

Mile2: 11:06

Mile3: 11:02
Mile4: 10:46

Mile5: 11:25

Mile6: 11:07
Ave pace: 11:00/mile

HEART RATE: did not wear strap

WEATHER: upper 80’s, 60% humidity, nice breeze

1 Comments:

  • I can't believe I missed the Koala massages. I should have come over.

    Sunday night at Memorial park has the fewest people of any time of the week. I think late runs during the week are fine there. There were hundreds of people there 2nite (Monday at around 9:00 p.m.)

    By Blogger Unknown, at Mon Aug 22, 11:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home