Jessica, a Houston Runner

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

8/2/05: SMART #2-Getting Down in Memorial Park!

I got another butt-kicking today (this time on my ‘home turf’ of Memorial Park, which is 15 minutes from where I work and live) and this time I wasen’t able to jump back as quick. My energy level was lower then usual (perhaps due to a lack of sleep or vitamins?!?!) and I know BY now that running when I am not feeling my best either results in slow times OR injury OR both. In my case, today-both. I didn’t really injure myself per se, but I did tweek my right calf on my 2 mile warmup. Which resulted in me not being able to finish up my 2 mile cool down. It isn’t so bad today (the day after) but I did have to put ice to it for about 30 minutes last night…

Overall, it was a good workout but I’m feeling a little defeated today mainly because I didn’t feel like I put my best effort forth due to my lack of energy and also two other BIG things: I’m not as fast as everyone else (but by no means the slowest, kinda towards the back) and since I have a bad left wrist (hence a big reason why I run and don’t box or jump rope, lol) I can’t do a lot of the arm/upper body reps. I do keep my free weights in my hands though and do a few chest presses and bicep curls while everyone else does pushups, but I certainly am not getting the same cardio workout everyone else is…I guess another small thing that bugged me/has been bothering me is that I am still the new kid on the block (and literally the kid, as I am probably one of the younger Striders/SMARTies) so I don’t really know anybody well yet and I don’t feel like I fit in…I guess in time I will get to know everyone fairly well, but to say that I know anyone outside of the former PIMsters and coaches, I really don’t…well hopefully at the Striders meeting next Tuesday (that I plan to attend) I hope to meet a few new faces and exchange numbers/email addresses. Looking forward to the PIM run tonight although I still feel like crap, I’ll (have to) get over it probably around mile 4, lol…

The Stats:
WARMUP and COOLDOWN: about 10:55/m x 3 miles
SPEEDWORK: 400m x 5: about 2.03 x 5 (roughly an 8:16 mile!)
HEART RATE: n/a
WEATHER: About 90 degrees, maybe 85 % humidity.

4 Comments:

  • Jessica, hang in there, be yourself and let those that know you run interference for you. Also the more you show up to functions, the more people will get comfortable with you. Plus if you got that article in on your first 10K, that will help as well. Are you running in Seabrook on Saturday?

    By Blogger WalkSports.com, at Wed Aug 03, 04:07:00 PM  

  • thanks for the encouragement...it's tough being the new kid sometimes:) no i won't be running this weekend, but i think i will be at the SMART training sat. morning...are you doing SMART? tonight's PIM run went much better, but it's amazing how rain makes runners come together:) more later...
    -Jessica

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Wed Aug 03, 08:46:00 PM  

  • Hey Jessica,

    We have about 40 new SMARTies this season and, rest assured, all are pretty much focused on their training and the big challenge we present in the program. The Orientation on August 13th is an ice-breaker as much as anything else, you'll really get to know lots of other SMARTies and have fun. Trust me, by the end of the program you're going to have dozens of new soul mates.

    Cheers, Steve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Aug 04, 06:45:00 PM  

  • Arghh! i can't be there on the 13th!!!!!! :(

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Fri Aug 05, 09:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home