Jessica, a Houston Runner

Friday, August 19, 2005

8/18/05: SMART one mile trial run and silly walks galore…

Last night’s workout, as part of the SMART program, was nothing short of a good time for all. Although I felt close to death (ok not really, but pretty miserable) due to being sick all week, I made it through a mile and a half warm up and immediately felt better. For some reason, my first mile and a half always feel the worst, in terms of soreness and my breathing. Anyone else notice that? Then we had the option of a one mile trial run (all out) or twelve 30/30 repeats (30 seconds at 5k pace, I think, and then a 30 second recovery). I opted for the mile run since I needed to do it for the SMART records. I finished at 8:13, not bad considering that I am not at 100% health and my dumb right knee is still acting crazy. Then we chatted for a little while and talked about the CORE aspect of SMART….doesn’t seem very difficult but I need to start incorporating it on all my off/easy days. Then, Strider/SMARTie Mark (Gonzalez) and I decided to cool down together around the MP loop…he’s a little faster than me but we chatted away and decided to go ahead and finish the entire loop.

So, with 5.5 miles under my belt for the night, I finished the week off with 17.5 miles. Next week, my main running goal is to run 20 miles. I have yet to hit that ‘magical’ number, 20 I mean, for some reason. I was telling Mark I think I have some sort of sub-conscious mental block when it comes to running more than 20 miles a week or 10 miles in one run…ahhh maybe one day I will do it…

Finally, another related running issue is my weight…I weighted myself today and it looks like I have lost about 2 pounds in about a month:) so I think this brings my total weight loss since I started PIM in March of this year to about 7 pounds (about one dress size)…not much but it’s a start. And it is so much harder to lose weight than I ever could imagine. The nice thing is that it is staying off and even though I am still not eating the BEST I could (ideally I would like to go vegetarian and eat wayyy more vegis and fruits), I am proud of myself and there is no turning back now! If anyone knows of any running or sports-related cook books, let me know. I need to stay in the habit of cooking my own food so I can control my portions and what goes in my food.

The Stats:
About 60 minutes of running
5.5 miles

1.5 mile warmup: 10:05, 5:29.
1 mile trial:
1-400m: 2:03
2-400m: 2:04
3-400m: 2:05
4-400m: 2:01
3 mile cooldown: 11:12, 10:42, 10:00.

HEART RATE: 174 Ave/203 Max
WEATHER: same as usual-hot, humid…but with a breeze

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home