Jessica, a Houston Runner

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

8/16/05: SMARTies in the House, at Memorial Park

As usual, and not unexpected, SMART kicked my tail again…of course I knew I would be paying for it because I didn’t participate in SMART at all last night. I hope that trying to do two sessions of it this week doesn’t hurt me too much…that and I missed the SMART orientation that was on Saturday when I was in Boston and now I have to acclimate myself with the CORE aspect of SMART and start to incorporate that into my rest/off days. Arghh. I thought running 3-4x a week was my only commitment to the program! ah well, they don’t make it challenging for nothing! I am really eager to do the CORE stuff actually, since I know that my overall running will not see any major improvements until I improve my OVERALL body. Yeah, as much as I would like to believe I am in good shape-I’m not. And of course I want to lose about 30 lbs, although I think it I lost half of that, I would be right where I need to be. (well if I even lost 10 between now and January I would be happy). I just want to be healthy…

Anyhow, my knee started acting up again after the first 1200 and I decided to take the whole running aspect of the workout ‘easy.’ There is no doubt that I have ‘runners knee.’ I think taking it easy (no running tonight, and half the running tomorrow at SMART), lots of ice, and some slow stretching in front of the TV are the plans for now. Looking forward to another SMART though (can my body take two punishments in one week?!) and then the Party in the Park (this Saturday morning at 8:30am) with a nice 8 mile run before it, will be a nice way to round out the week/start next week. We’ll see, injuries aren’t something I am going to take lightly this time…

The Stats:

About 57 minutes of running
About 5 miles

2 mile warmup: 20:32
1-1200m: 4:44 (way too fast!)
1-800m: 4:37
2-1000m: 5:57 (this is where I didn’t complete the 1200)
2-800m:4:47
3-1000m: 5:54 (same thing here)
1 mile cooldown: 10:12

HEART RATE: 167 Ave/188 Max
WEATHER: humidist day this summer, at least 90 degrees

5 Comments:

  • I suggested to Steve last year that I might want to do SMART this year. This would be my first marathon. He told me NO WAY!! He said the incidence of injury and over training was so high, especially for a newbie. Of course that made me want to do it even more (not 'cause I wanted to injur myself but because I like a good challenge). Anyway, it's probably good that my ankle went bad and that I had surgery. It brought me back down to earth. I plan now to run through the fall and spring and do a beginner's program like Houston Fit or Galloway for the Houston marathon in 2007.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Wed Aug 17, 04:45:00 PM  

  • Definitely, the best way to become a better, stronger runner is to train the total body. Hope you get to find a way to incorporate that into your training.

    That is one heck of a workout you got going there. Good job on what you did finish. Sometimes, the effort can get lost on the person because you can feel down over not being able to complete it. Either way, you did a good job, and it will only get better from here for you.

    Good luck and God Bless!

    By Blogger Sam, at Wed Aug 17, 05:01:00 PM  

  • Hi Jessica!

    Just wanted to pop in and say hi! Thanks for the comment on my humble little blog - I'll be sending you an email to set up a run time! Are you going to the RTW for the Bloggers 5k?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Aug 18, 01:29:00 PM  

  • You should both come by the RTW, I promise not to act like a "creepy" guy, honest!

    By Blogger Woodlands Runner, at Fri Aug 19, 01:35:00 AM  

  • i am really going to try to come...i dont have anything going on and the cost to race is so cheap that i will spend more on gas to get there:) i was actually going to go home that weekend to run the Caliente 10k and Keep Austin Wierd 5k (on the same day!) but i just dont have the money to travel right now. Anyhow, hope to see ALL of you there!
    -Jessica

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Fri Aug 19, 10:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home