Jessica, a Houston Runner

Monday, August 15, 2005

8/10/05: The weekly PIM/Striders Special-and my best run ever!!

I don’t know why I ran so great this night. I was coming off a slight bought with food poisoning, hardly any sleep and a near-empty stomach. Sans a Vitamin Water (energy flavored!) and an egg/cheese/ham on a muffin, I was pretty famished but willing to give the run a go. I know I needed to get in a good run since I didn’t know if I would be able to run while I was in Boston over the weekend (side note: I did not run…I ran out of room in my bag to pack my shoes! :( And the weather was nice and there were tons of other runners around—grrr!) anyhow, I did run like a champ. I may not have broken any speed records, but my breathing felt great and my legs were fresh. In fact, when faced with the choice of running 4 miles around the Memorial Park loop (boo!) or the 5.6 mile “Polo Club Loop” (my idea, I think), I took the Polo Club route. Although I ran the first half by myself, I felt confident I would make good time there and find a buddy to run back with. And I did. I ended up meeting up with Strider Frank (I believe, please forgive me if I goofed up your name!) who is a sales rep for Shure microphones. He pushed me enough to shave 2 minutes off my time back! Good deal, and great conversations. I felt like I could keep running when we were all done…wish and hope for more runs like this!

In other related running news, the monthly Striders meeting was last night and I had a great time. We met at a Chinese buffet restaurant and were treated to a complementary buffet (I didn’t know, how cool is that! I was planning on eating afterwards. and maybe i should have, considering i got sick later.) and had a very productive meeting. We voted to approve the Striders as hosting the RRCA National 2006 Convention in Houston and also talked about volunteering for the Striders 10k relay/20k that we are doing . I told Andrea Chan that I would like to help with packet stuffing and race registration and I wasen’t sure if I could help race day yet because I didn’t know if I would run the 10k relay. I would like to (I really like the singlets we get!) but we’ll see…other then that, I got to meet and eat dinner with Ryan and John Di Marco, the son/father duo that recently completed the hilly San Fransisco Marathon and also ran the Toughest 10k in Texas with me (I thought I saw them there!) We shared plenty of stories and of course it always humbling to talk to these better runners who have good advice to give to a novice like myself!

Now…to get back to running, sleeping good, eating good and SMART this week…oh why do I have a feeling this is going to be a rough week!

The Stats:
1:00 total for about 5.6 miles
Mile 1-2.75: 31:03
Mile 2.75-5.6: 29.15

HEART RATE: 181 ave, 194 max
WEATHER: 85 degrees, but a nice breeze, maybe 60% humidity

3 Comments:

  • Great description of the run, and it is ALWAYS easier and better to run w/someone who can push you.

    I've found that sometimes, when a crazy virus or illness strikes, when you get past it, your body has been "cleansed" of a lot of the contaminents that were stored up in there, so maybe that contributed to your good run. Either way, all my best to you, and if I see you at a run or a race, I'll be sure to cheer you on.

    Take care! God Bless!

    By Blogger Sam, at Tue Aug 16, 01:17:00 PM  

  • Jessica, have you checked out the gmap pedometer website? You can map your routes and share with friends or post on you blog/site. The reason I ask is that I'd really like to do the Polo club route one day.

    vic

    By Blogger Unknown, at Tue Aug 16, 07:02:00 PM  

  • Vic-
    i need to get on it:) thanks and i'll go and try it out!
    -jessica

    By Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete, at Wed Aug 17, 12:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home