Jessica, a Houston Runner

Friday, July 29, 2005

7/28/05: Good times for all—the first SMART gathering for 2005!

And needless to say, I got my butt kicked, and looooooovvvvved every second of it. For those of you that don’t know anything about SMART or what it is, let me explain. SMART is the Official Marathon and Half-Marathon training program for the Houston Striders running club. SMART officially kicks off August 13 and will be approximately 5 months of training (well 6 if you started training in July like you are suppose to-ahhemm!) leading up to the Houston Marathon and half-marathon on January 15, 2006! Woohoo, can’t wait! Anyhow, the program is free (THAT’S RIGHT-FREE!) to anyone who is a current HARRA member and member of the Houston Striders. That comes out to about $40 or so a year to get top-quality training, support the Houston running community, and (in my humble opinion) be a member the best running club in Houston!

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand…the program today (and for the most part every Tuesday and Thursday) consists of a 2 mile warmup, sillywalks, 400m x 5 at a 5k pace, a ‘Boot Camp’ of lunges, pushups, crunches, and a 2 mile cooldown. So in the end, you not only walk away with a solid 5 miles of running, but also a nice upper body workout and sore abs. FUN! And the park we do SMART at (Terry Hershey park in West Houston) is beautiful minus the hordes of bikes/walkers you have to avoid from time-to-time. (Just keep your eyes open and run single file is the key I have learned). I can’t wait til next week and hope to see everyone again. (Eric—bring some more beer!) The only downside to the deal is driving out there…I-10 is a nightmare/parking lot/death trap all the time so I think I might start driving down Memorial Drive to get there. Good times for all, overall and yes Steve, I will be back next week. (You haven’t scared me off yet:))

Stats:
WARMUP and COOLDOWN: about 10:09/m x 4 miles
400m x 5: about 1.52 x 5 (danggggggg, that averages out to about a 7:42 mile!)
TOTAL TIME: 40:46 for WU and CD
HEART RATE: n/a
WEATHER: About 90 degrees, maybe 80 % humidity.

3 Comments:

  • the more i hear about Striders (you, Jon and others) the more tempted I am to join. Once I can run again of course.

    By Blogger Tiggs, at Sat Jul 30, 02:23:00 PM  

  • If we have an ego in our midst, I'm not aware of it. I've had our best runners, male and female, always willing to talk, give pointers, answer questions, etc. We have a lot of folks who do multi-sports as well too.

    By Blogger WalkSports.com, at Sat Jul 30, 08:56:00 PM  

  • Jessica,

    Found internet access in Detroit. Great writeup, you captured the spirit of the evening. Would only mention we had 61 Striders at the workout.

    Gonna try to sort out boot camps for Barb and myself Tuesday in Detroit and Thursday in Mackinaw City. Could be interesting...

    Steve

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Jul 31, 08:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home